AEJMC MIDWINTER CONFERENCE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA!
AEJMC MIDWINTER CONFERENCE 2020
March 6-7, 2020
Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication
University of Oklahoma
General Call for Paper Abstracts and Panel Proposals:
The AEJMC Midwinter Conference is an annual forum for the presentation of research and debate in areas relevant to the AEJMC groups (divisions, interest groups and commissions) sponsoring the event. The conference provides a platform for presentations and extended discussions in a relaxed setting.
We are happy to host the upcoming conference again at the Gaylord College, University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma between March 6 and 7, 2020. Conference participants will be able to enjoy the College’s state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities, as well as many winter diversions outside the conference activities, including world-class museums and art galleries.
Paper abstract submissions: Authors are invited to submit research paper abstracts of between 600 and 800 words (word count excludes author information and references) appropriate to one of the Divisions or Interest Groups represented at the conference. Abstracts should give a clear sense of relevant literature, research objectives, methodological approach, stage of research project (conceptual, data gathering, data interpreting), findings and conclusions.
When submitting an abstract, please follow these steps:
2. In the “AEJMC Midwinter 2020 Login” box, click on “Sign up here” as new user if you have not used this service before. Otherwise, just log in using your existing login.
3. It will take you to a sign-up wizard, which is self-explanatory and guided. Finish signing up by confirming your email address.
4. Once the account is set up, sign in using your email address and password.
5. To submit the abstract, click on “Create a new Paper Submission”, and select the division/interest group you want to submit your abstract to.
6. The next step will require you to provide the title of the paper, an abstract (9,000 characters maximum). If your abstract’s character count exceeds 9,000 characters, you can also attach it as a Word doc or PDF file. However, you cannot leave the abstract box empty, write a brief abstract or keywords for your paper if you choose to upload it as an attachment.
7. Next you can add additional authors, if there are any. You can add as many authors as you need.
8. Finally, click the submit button to upload the abstract.
9. You will get a confirmation message once the submission is completed.
10. You can log in to the site at any time to check the status of your submission or if you need to edit something. You can only do this up to the submission deadline of December 1, 2019, 11:59 p.m. Central Time. You would not be able to make any changes to your submission after the deadline.
Note that authors can submit any specific paper abstract to only one participating group – submitting the same paper abstract to several groups will result in disqualification and withdrawal from the review process. Do not submit full papers but please ensure that abstracts are between 600 and 800 words; shorter abstracts (i.e., 75 words) don’t allow for adequate consideration with longer abstracts. Authors must ensure that they remove any identifying information from their document.
Authors of accepted papers will be notified by mid-January 2020. Papers presented at the midwinter conference are also eligible for presentation at the AEJMC national convention in August. Authors are encouraged to use the midwinter conference as an opportunity to get feedback on their research, to improve and finalize it for submission to the national conference.
Authors of accepted abstracts must submit complete papers (not exceeding 30 pages) to the discussant of their conference session at least two weeks before the midwinter conference. The midwinter chair for the relevant group will send authors the names and contact details of the discussant for their session.
At least one author of each accepted paper must register and attend the conference to present the paper. Failure to register by the deadline will result in authors’ names and papers being removed from the program. NO onsite registration will be available.
Some groups participating in the midwinter conference have award opportunities (e.g. for travel). Authors are encouraged to see the groups’ individual midwinter calls for details.
Panel submissions: In addition, the organizers are also inviting panel proposals. These panel proposals should NOT be done through the online abstract submission system. Instead, submissions for panels should be sent to the relevant midwinter chair directly via email (see list of participating AEJMC groups and the midwinter chair for each group below). The deadline for panel submissions is the same as for abstract submissions, December 1, 2019, 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
Panel submissions should include the panel title, a description of the session’s focus, the issues to be discussed, and a list of panelists (potential and confirmed), including affiliation. Proposals should not exceed two double-spaced pages.
The University of Oklahoma is located in Norman, 20 miles south of Oklahoma City, with easy access to the Will Rogers World Airport. Details on conference registration, hotel accommodation and airport transportation will be available at http://www.ou.edu/gaylord.
For more information, please contact Elanie Steyn, Conference Site Host (email@example.com).
AEJMC 2020 Midwinter Chairs
Communication Technology Division
Hyunjin Seo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Commission on the Status of Women
Sreyoshi Dey (email@example.com)
Khadija Ejaz (KEjaz@barry.edu)
Cultural and Critical Studies Division
Khadija Ejaz (KEjaz@barry.edu)
Entertainment Studies Interest Group
Gwen Nisbett (Gwen.Nisbett@unt.edu)
Graduate Student Interest Group
Amanda Bradshaw (firstname.lastname@example.org)
International Communication Division
Summer Harlow (email@example.com)
Mass Communication & Society Division
Alec Tefertiller (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Media Management, Economics & Entrepreneurship Division
Anthony Palomba (email@example.com)
Miao Guo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Minorities and Communication Division
Monique Luisi (email@example.com)