Special Issue of the Journal of Media Business Studies
“Strategic Management in the Media Industries”
Special Issues Editor:
Sabine Baumann – Jade University, Germany
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: April 15, 2018
The media industries are going through a period of accelerating change, transformation and disruption driven by rapid technology developments. Obviously, these developments have profound effects on management strategies and industry development. Articles from media management and media economics scholars have studied the phenomenon mostly from empirical angles, while general and strategic management scholars have used media abundantly as a field of investigation for theory-building, but not for advancing insights about the functioning of the industries per se. What seems to be missing is a stronger scholarly exchange in order to tap into the mutual synergies by introducing advanced theories of strategic management to studies of media sectors.
The aim of this special issue on Strategic Management in the Media Industries is (1) to advance our understanding of the media industry by examining specificities of strategic management and strategy work in the media context, and (2) to shed light on the strategic approaches of media firms to manage the challenges and threats of a high-velocity business environment, in order to (3) advance strategic media management theory.
Specific topics of relevance to this special issue and upon which submissions are invited include, but are not limited to:
• How do ecosystems in the media industries differ from other industry sectors in terms of their strategic management?
• How does research on the specificities of the media industries challenge or expand theories in strategic management?
• How can media firms build and maintain competitive advantage in a changing world characterized by increasing uncertainty, complexity and competition?
• How can strategic management research in the areas of platform markets, networks, multi-sided markets, ambidexterity, sharing, and crowdfunding be applied to the media industries?
• How can theories from strategic management explain particular strategic leadership challenges faced by media companies?
• How can the strategic drivers of family firms and other ownership forms in the media industries be explained?
• What can other technology-driven industries affected by vertical unbundling and industry convergence learn from strategic management of media organizations?
The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2018. Please mark your submission as special issue submission. Questions regarding the special issue can be directed to the guest editor firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full details about the journal and the prescribed format for manuscript submissions can be found at: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/romb.